Two of the town's inhabitants were James Bellows Hammond and his first wife, Flora McDonnel Hammond. J. B. Hammond's name runs all through our earlier history, you'll see it on council meeting minutes as well as a number of other places. They must have been very generous because they first donated the land for the Anglican and United Churches (built at the turn of the century) and their cemeteries.
Building a church isn't cheap in any era, but the adults of the community persevered and some even went to the lumber camps in order to collect donations from the lumberjacks.
Mary Edwards, the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Edwards, Sr., and James Boyce were the first couple to wed in the new Anglican Church. Some years later, around 1924, one of this couple's descendants donated the bell for the church. She was Miss Hazel Boyce (later married Edward Jefferies), and had purchased the bell from the C.N.R. in Leeside, Ontario. The early 1900s saw the construction of the other two churches. The Catholic Church, St. Jude, and the Methodist Church (United Church) were constructed in the early part of the new century. Reverend Smith officiated at one of the weddings at the Methodist Church.
That of Mabel Harley and Alexander Moulton on April 24th, 1901. The Catholic Church was torn down in the early 1970s and the firehall stands in its place.