In 1925, Levi Pomfrey built the Orange Hall. It was so called after the Orange Order which wasa secret society, formed in the north of Ireland in 1795, to uphold the Protestant religion andProtestant control in Ireland. Mr. Pomfrey must have at least sympathized with those beliefs atthe time to build a hall for it.
The Loyal Orange Association was named after William, Prince ofOrange, (a principality in W. Europe, now a part of S.E. France) who became King William III ofEngland.Every year on July 12th the Orangemen would have a meeting and then they would paradearound town. Today that would be considered "politically incorrect".Nevertheless, this building was used much like you would use any community centre; forgraduation parties, wedding receptions and dances.The children were inoculated by the health nurse at the hall.
Mr. Hammond was instrumental in establishing a solid, well laid out village. Not only did hedonate the land for two of the churches, but he made the original layout of the south portion ofthe town by having plans drawn up by DeMorest and Johnson of Sudbury. This was done oneighty acres of the southern portion of Lot 2, Concession 4.These plans show six streets, each 66-feet wide separating blocks containing 20 lots each, thelots measuring 50-feet by 115-feet. Allowances were for 20-foot lanes in each block.
The part of town on the north side of the railway was laid out by the McIntyre MiningCorporation.On June 14th, 1897 probably at Mr. Hammond's urging, the council drafted a by-law thatentailed that all buildings and obstructions on streets, lanes and public highways be removedand that necessary lanes, streets, or public highways be opened up for the accommodation ofthe public.The town's by-law number 31 of that year (1897) called for the proper laying out of streets,lanes and public highways.Further it was passed that council take the necessary steps to open up a road from the C.P.R.crossing on Smith Street, east to the railroad station and west along the boundary line betweenMcIntyre Street and a proposed Hammond Street (now Highway 17) and then further west tothe old C.P.R. tote road to join the proposed bridge across the Spanish River at the rapids.
Later, an order was made to build the approach to the railroad crossing on Smith Street in orderto get a public crossing and cattle guards put in as soon as possible.Joseph Edwards and William Harley, in 1898, were authorized to decide on thelocation of the road from Nairn Centre to Worthington, a six mile stretch, for which they werepaid $2. This road would become part of the trunk road from Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie.