Andrew DeverR.G. LeeJ.L. McDermottLevi PomfreyJames Bellows Hammond (also in 1899, replacing Mr. Dever) A.J. JordonGeorge HilliardPeter San Cartier (interim)Roy MacDonald (with interim Reeves) Maxwell PomfreyGeorge ThurlowBrodie CummingLeslie PomfreyEvelyn McCutcheonHenry J. BeerMyron G. AustinLyle HallThomas McCutcheonCharles (Bob) RobinsonHenry Beer (interim)Hans BehmannJohn WulffDorothy NelmesRichard B. DittburnerWayne InsleyRaymond HardingWayne InsleyRaymond Harding (interim)Dale Jefferies
During the year (1904) council passed By-law Number 71 charging peddlers to pay $1 for eachvalise or pack, watch peddlers $10 and milliners $5 to ply their wares.
Spring and fall are both muddy seasons, so in 1908 the municipality built woodensidewalks in town at a cost of $360. It took 8,000 feet of two-inch plank which would be replacedin 1933 with concrete using relief labour.
We may have had sidewalks in 1908, but our only road was a tote road used for railwayconstruction. Mr. Edwards and Mr. Harley had laid out the road to Worthington from here but itwasn't until the 1930s that the best location for the westward section of the "trunk road" wascomplete. We refer to that route now as the "old highway" and if you look on a local map of thearea you will see sections of it called, "Old Nairn Road" and "Old McKerrow Road".Our passage on land was slow, but navigating people and goods on our waterways was theoriginal form of travel. In fact, the reason for logging here was due to the Spanish River andrecords show that in 1909 a drive of 780,000 logs went down the Spanish to the North Channelto be separated.
Malcolm MacDonald was a true entrepreneur. Seeing an opportunity for a lucrative businessventure he laid out a racetrack. For two or three seasons he raced his three horses Jack,Monarch and Riley B.
The racetrack was on the south side of the present highway in a field roughly located betweenwhat is now Spencer Lane South and Smith Street South.
We have a story for "Unsolved Mysteries". There was a claim that in November, 1914,two camp clerks were going hunting about 20 miles north of town. One returned to camp safelywhile the other was never seen alive again. Nothing was reported about the case until 1920when an Indian trapper came upon the charred bones of a man. A rifle barrel with the stockburned, a watch and a few coins were found at the foot of a tree in Vernon Township some fortymiles from his starting point. Identification was made by a check of his gold-filled teeth and, thewatch was identified by the man's father who lived in the Ottawa Valley. He is buried in theUnited Church cemetery.