Building Permits

Building Permits 2024-06-04T11:51:48-04:00

In order to carry out any construction, renovations and/or demolitions you must complete and submit an Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish to the Building Controls Department.  This must be done prior to the commencement of construction/demolition as the plans and specifications of the project must be reviewed to ensure they comply with the Ontario Building Code and any other legislation.

A building permit regulates the type of construction allowed in the municipality and ensures that construction within the municipality meets with standards set out in the Ontario Building Code. No matter what the specific project may be, the enforcement of the codes are carried out to protect publics health, safety and welfare.

Compliance with Municipal By-Laws such as the Zoning By-law are also evaluated during the review process.  The building permit process protects each homeowner’s interests, as well as those of the municipality and helps to ensure that any structural change is safe, legal and sound.

By obtaining a permit, you can also take advantage of the professional expertise of Building Division staff. Inspectors are good sources of information and can offer suggestions to help solve construction problems, often before they occur.

Examples That DO Require a Permit:

  • Construct a new building on your property

  • Renovate, repair, alter or add to an existing building

  • Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building/structure on your property

  • Install, change or remove load bearing walls and non load bearing partitions

  • Make new openings for windows or doors, or make existing openings wider

  • Replace existing windows and doors

  • Sheds or garages over 160 sq.ft.

  • All decks more than 24″ above grade (whether attached or detached)

  • Carports

  • Dormers

  • Changing weeping tiles, repairing foundations

  • New woodstove or fireplace

  • Replace HVAC and heating systems

  • Finish a basement

Examples That DO NOT Require a Building Permit:

  • Detached structures 160 sq.ft. or less (unless it provides egress in/out of a building, such as a front step/porch)

  • Eaves troughs (although please ensure drainage is contained on your property)

  • Reinstall/replace kitchen or bathroom cupboards

  • Electrical Work (Contact the Electrical Safety Authority to see if an electrical permit is required)

  • Fences (other than for swimming pools/hot tubs)

  • Asphalt roof shingling (no structural work done)

  • Minor repairs to masonry

  • Air conditioning units or heat pumps added to existing forced-air systems

  • Kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing/Mechanical ventilation

  • Free-standing satellite dishes

  • Pool heaters

  • Painting and decorating

  • Landscaping

If you are unsure whether a building permit is required or not, please contact the building department at 705-869-4232 or email.

If you would like to schedule an in person meeting, please call the Township Office at 705-869-4232 to set up an appointment.